Skip to main content

"What would Lincoln do?" "Add the Words" Idaho


There have been a lot of stories about the Idaho Legislature’s stance about LGBT  (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender). For nine years, the LGBD community  has sought equal protection using the Idaho Civil Rights Act.

For years, the LGBT community, friends, loved ones, etc. have used this tag line: "Add the Words" in reference adding four words, 'sexual orientation' and 'gender identity,' to Idaho’s Human Rights Act

This year, the Idaho House State Affairs Committee finally granted the hearing. The three days of testimony was heart wrenching. The committee did not support the legislation but this was a step  in the right direction.

It is sad that in general, Republican have the perception of NOT supporting the LGBT community. I have always voted Republican.  But it seems I am “out of touch” because I am an economic conservative and a social liberal. Most of my Republican friends would add the words. Republicans are not bigots.

When I studied economics, I loved this phrase:  Laissez-faire is French term and literally means "let [them] do," but it broadly implies "let it be," "let them do as they will," or "leave it alone."   

For me, from the board room to the bedroom, "let it be."

I am hopeful that the testimony helped legislators to understand. Legislators want to do the right things. This IS right.  

My fellow Republican brethren, ask this question:  "What would Lincoln do?"

I believe Abraham Lincoln would have added the words.   

I cannot stand discrimination whether it is racial or LGBT.

From when I was I child, I “knew” that some of my friends were “different.” I did not know term “LGBT,” and I did not care. They were friends of mine regardless. They still are.

People have been asking why I care so much. I will tell you why.

When I was eight in 1970, my parents got divorced in Twin Falls, Idaho. Our mother rented a small house. The Fair Housing Act of 1968 was in its infancy and enforcement was almost nonexistent.

Ultimately the landlord (A Realtor) booted out our mom and her four boys. He did not approve of a divorcee raising four boys as a single mother.

Years later, when I was the CEO of the Idaho Association of Realtor's, I made speeches for 19 years throughout Idaho about fair housing. 

I did a speech in Twin Falls (my hometown) about fair housing. After the speech, the Realtor who kicked out our family shook my hand.

I said, "Do you remember me?"

He said, "I do not think so. Should I?"

I responded saying, "When I was 8 years old, you did not approve of my mother because she was divorced. You kicked her out with four boys. Now, because of the Federal Fair Housing Law, I make speeches about housing discrimination using you as an example. My goal is to make sure that you will never hurt another person like my mother and me. You should still be ashamed."

He was very embarrassed. 

Discrimination is very personal for me, in housing and otherwise.  I do not respect bigots.

Protecting LGBT friends is just the next step.

I am hopeful that Idaho will step up and add civil rights for everyone like LGBT.  We will get there.

I am reminded of this poem by Pastor Martin Niemöller:

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out...

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out...

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out...

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

For Idahoans who do not support equal rights for all, I think of the poem. Someday, it might be them suffering discrimination. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Faces of the American Dream

The massive wave of Norwegian immigration to Minnesota from the 1850s through the early 20th century wasn't a casual choice; it was an escape from crushing land scarcity and economic desperation.  My ancestors, the Dunhams, arrived in 1851 and built a life in Otter Tail County in Minnesota. My great-great-grandfather, Jens Christian Dunham, didn’t just survive—he thrived. He served in the Minnesota legislature as a Republican from 1888 to 1890 and later became a staunch advocate for President Teddy Roosevelt. He was the literal embodiment of the American Dream: an immigrant who fled poverty to become a lawmaker in his new home. Fast forward a century, and a new wave of immigrants—this time from Somalia—is following that exact same blueprint. Like the Norwegians before them, they fled hardship to build a future in Minnesota, and many have run for office to serve the state that welcomed them. Yet, the political rhetoric surrounding these two groups couldn't be more polarized. Don...

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind...

Greek orthodox and Catholic‘s

Being a history buff, I’ve always understood that the Catholic Church was split in about 1000 A.D. Our Greek tour guide mentioned the differences a little bit yesterday, but she did not capture the full history. Today I saw a small Greek orthodox by the roadside and I’m going to insert about the history. Eastern Orthodox Catholics and Roman Catholics are the result of what is known as the East-West Schism (or Great Schism) of 1054, when medieval Christianity split into two branches. The Byzantine split with Roman Catholicism came about when Pope Leo III crowned Charlemagne, King of the Franks, as Holy Roman Emperor in 800. From the Byzantine viewpoint, this was a slap to the Eastern Emperor and the Byzantine Empire itself — an empire that had withstood barbarian invasions and upheld the faith for centuries. After Rome fell in 476, Byzantium was the only vestige of the Holy Roman Empire. Charlemagne’s crowning made the Byzantine Emperor redundant, and relations between the East and...