Skip to main content

Greta Garbo and My Stroke


When you have a stroke, the physical nature of the injury is devastating depending on the severity of the stroke.  Stroke survivors deal with the physical issues differently. 

The mental aftereffects are often even more profound that the loss of brain tissue. The emotional toll of a stroke often has more shattering effects than the dead brain matter.

After my strokes, I was appointed to be on the Board of the Idaho Chapter of the American Heart and Stroke Association. I am the “voice” of the survivor. The organization helps in many ways. 

Concerning the emotional wreckage left after a stroke, this statement is a black and white summary about “me:”

“After a stroke, people often experience emotional and behavioral changes. This is because stroke affects the brain, and our brain controls our behavior and emotions. Injury from a stroke may make a person forgetful, careless, irritable or confused. Stroke survivors may also feel anxiety, anger or depression.”

Certainly that is a fair declaration about me.  But, the “black and white” perspective does not capture the disturbing nuances about the obsessive darkness I often feel when I realize how much I lost of me.

Many stroke survivors just “deal with it.” We have no choice. Some lucky ones resume their normal life. Many cannot resume a “normal life.”  Doctors, nurses, friends, and loved ones are caring. Nevertheless, everyone says in a gentle way “I could be worse and you need to adjust to your new normal.”

EVERY stroke survivors bristles about the term “my new normal.” NOTHING is normal.

Some stroke survivors also have the new gift of “aphasia” which I have. Aphasia is caused by damage to the language centers of the brain. Stroke is the most common cause of aphasia. According to the National Aphasia Association (2011), about 25% to 40% of stroke survivors experience aphasia. Aphasia is a condition that robs you of the ability to communicate. It can affect your ability to speak, write and understand language, both verbal and written.

I assume I have a mild form of aphasia. I can speak pretty well though reading, math, and handwriting are issues.  I have no choice about this and I compensate a lot. You just cope and hope.

The social isolation of aphasia is intense.

A commercial product called “Sentence Shaper” has the best overview about people who have aphasia:

“People with aphasia are typically adults, with a full range of complex ideas and emotions to express. The loneliness of aphasia -- which often keeps people from expressing themselves fully, and even from being recognized as thinking, feeling members of society -- can be profound. Language impairment makes it hard to participate in almost any social situation, whether it is making small talk, introducing oneself to potential new friends, or sharing ideas and feelings with longstanding friends and even close family members.”

I have noticed lately the background noises and the “crowds” simply are becoming unbearable whether a huge event, a loud restaurant, a family gathering, etc.  I am getting more irritated all of the time. Let me talk! Do not interrupt! Like Greta Garbo, “I simply want to be alone!”  Not always but now sometimes often.

I was ruminating recently about my life and aphasia. I used to love to interact with people. Making a speech in front of hundreds or even a thousand people was fun. I loved to go out and meet friends and family. I travelled all over the nation. I loved to drive. I relished exploring my world.

Now, from a talkative social guy, many times I just want to wrap myself into a cocoon in a dark bedroom and listen to the silence. Of course, I venture out when I need to be “Mark Dunham” again for meeting and social niceties. 

Nevertheless, sometimes, bliss for me is to escape in my mind to a place where I was before. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Faces of the American Dream

The massive wave of Norwegian immigration to Minnesota from the 1850s through the early 20th century wasn't a casual choice; it was an escape from crushing land scarcity and economic desperation.  My ancestors, the Dunhams, arrived in 1851 and built a life in Otter Tail County in Minnesota. My great-great-grandfather, Jens Christian Dunham, didn’t just survive—he thrived. He served in the Minnesota legislature as a Republican from 1888 to 1890 and later became a staunch advocate for President Teddy Roosevelt. He was the literal embodiment of the American Dream: an immigrant who fled poverty to become a lawmaker in his new home. Fast forward a century, and a new wave of immigrants—this time from Somalia—is following that exact same blueprint. Like the Norwegians before them, they fled hardship to build a future in Minnesota, and many have run for office to serve the state that welcomed them. Yet, the political rhetoric surrounding these two groups couldn't be more polarized. Don...

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind...

Eye floaters, Strokes, Another ER visit….

It is always something.... I’ve had eye floaters for as long as I can remember. My paternal grandmother had them. My brothers have them too. They’ve always been part of my vision—little drifting specks, threads, and shadows moving across my sight. Over time, you learn to live with them. Sometimes they swirl around, sometimes they settle toward the bottom of your vision, and most of the time you simply ignore them. Floaters are actually tiny clumps inside the eye that cast shadows on the retina. They’re common as we age, especially after fifty, and usually they’re harmless. Doctors will tell you that most people eventually tune them out. But sometimes they change. On Wednesday, while we were driving home from an overnight trip, something felt different. It was my left eye. The floaters suddenly looked darker, heavier, and there were flashes of light along the edge of my vision—almost like a bright crescent moon flickering on and off. At first, I tried to ignore it. After everything ...