Skip to main content

Working from home

I took today off from work, but I wonder if those of us connected to -- dependent on! -- technology ever really take a day off? I use a Motorola Q and have a built-in WiFi card on my laptop. So, although I officially took a day off, I am still connected, responding to e-mails, working on projects, etc.

There are sometimes days in the office when I don't physically see fellow employees because we comminicate virtually either through e-mail or an internal communication system called "HUD Fonality." So, is it any different to be connected from 2 miles away? From 2,000?

I have really tried -- on a few rare occasions -- to simply check out. I had a wake-up call once when Ethan wanted me to be outside with him while he rode his bike. At one point, he peddled up to me and said "Daddy! I want you to watch me -- not that thing!" I had been "doing e-mails" the whole time thinking my mere presence was sufficient. It wasn't. And it isn't. I need to work on ways to disengage from work and technology so I can engage in being "with" my family rather than just being around them. There is a difference. And I struggle with it.

He went from crawling to a trike to a bike in the blink of an eye. Maybe he did it while I was checking e-mail.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your points are great here I have always wondered if I need to log vacation time when I am working on my vacations or days off. My tone for emails and texts are from ESPN sportcenter and one day at the AA baseball game they had a "highlight" and used the same music and my son looked at me and said Daddy your phone is going off. I also learned quality time versus quantity time when I got divorced, I now try to make memories everyday.

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Faces of the American Dream

The massive wave of Norwegian immigration to Minnesota from the 1850s through the early 20th century wasn't a casual choice; it was an escape from crushing land scarcity and economic desperation.  My ancestors, the Dunhams, arrived in 1851 and built a life in Otter Tail County in Minnesota. My great-great-grandfather, Jens Christian Dunham, didn’t just survive—he thrived. He served in the Minnesota legislature as a Republican from 1888 to 1890 and later became a staunch advocate for President Teddy Roosevelt. He was the literal embodiment of the American Dream: an immigrant who fled poverty to become a lawmaker in his new home. Fast forward a century, and a new wave of immigrants—this time from Somalia—is following that exact same blueprint. Like the Norwegians before them, they fled hardship to build a future in Minnesota, and many have run for office to serve the state that welcomed them. Yet, the political rhetoric surrounding these two groups couldn't be more polarized. Don...

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind...

Eye floaters, Strokes, Another ER visit….

It is always something.... I’ve had eye floaters for as long as I can remember. My paternal grandmother had them. My brothers have them too. They’ve always been part of my vision—little drifting specks, threads, and shadows moving across my sight. Over time, you learn to live with them. Sometimes they swirl around, sometimes they settle toward the bottom of your vision, and most of the time you simply ignore them. Floaters are actually tiny clumps inside the eye that cast shadows on the retina. They’re common as we age, especially after fifty, and usually they’re harmless. Doctors will tell you that most people eventually tune them out. But sometimes they change. On Wednesday, while we were driving home from an overnight trip, something felt different. It was my left eye. The floaters suddenly looked darker, heavier, and there were flashes of light along the edge of my vision—almost like a bright crescent moon flickering on and off. At first, I tried to ignore it. After everything ...