Skip to main content

Keppra, Dilantin and Jack Nicholson

Jack Nicholson starred in a movie called “As Good as It Gets.”   It is hard to realize that you are getting older. When is the prime of your life? When health starts to fail, does it ever get any better?

When my strokes happened two years ago, I assumed I would get better.  Though the severity of my strokes did not give me a lot of hope, I struggled to recover. My family was the incentive for me to persevere.

The other day, I saw a friend of mine who said, “You look fantastic!” That is great! But, in my head, I am not fantastic. It is very tough to deal with what I have lost. I have made a great recovery, but I know that I will never be the same again. I have to deal with that reality, and, for the most part, I have accepted my fate.

However, the old adage I am waiting for the other shoe to drop seems appropriate for me. When I get out of bed, I wonder if something will happen to me. The seizure two months ago set me back physically but also emotionally. I often wonder what will happen to me next.

After the seizure two months ago, I was prescribed Keppra, an anticonvulsant used in combination with other medications to treat seizure disorders. I hated the side effects. So, my neurologist suggested Dilantin as a substitute. The problem with Dilantin is it can affect liver functions. I have to take blood tests a lot as a result.

Several days ago, my neurologist was concerned about my latest liver tests. This morning, my neurologist put me back on Keppra out of fear that I am damaging my liver. I will wean off Dilantin.

I have to do blood draws every week for the duration. My arms are like an addict with tracks of needles because of blood draws!

My life it seems is “As Good as It Gets.” So far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Faces of the American Dream

The massive wave of Norwegian immigration to Minnesota from the 1850s through the early 20th century wasn't a casual choice; it was an escape from crushing land scarcity and economic desperation.  My ancestors, the Dunhams, arrived in 1851 and built a life in Otter Tail County in Minnesota. My great-great-grandfather, Jens Christian Dunham, didn’t just survive—he thrived. He served in the Minnesota legislature as a Republican from 1888 to 1890 and later became a staunch advocate for President Teddy Roosevelt. He was the literal embodiment of the American Dream: an immigrant who fled poverty to become a lawmaker in his new home. Fast forward a century, and a new wave of immigrants—this time from Somalia—is following that exact same blueprint. Like the Norwegians before them, they fled hardship to build a future in Minnesota, and many have run for office to serve the state that welcomed them. Yet, the political rhetoric surrounding these two groups couldn't be more polarized. Don...

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind...

Eye floaters, Strokes, Another ER visit….

It is always something.... I’ve had eye floaters for as long as I can remember. My paternal grandmother had them. My brothers have them too. They’ve always been part of my vision—little drifting specks, threads, and shadows moving across my sight. Over time, you learn to live with them. Sometimes they swirl around, sometimes they settle toward the bottom of your vision, and most of the time you simply ignore them. Floaters are actually tiny clumps inside the eye that cast shadows on the retina. They’re common as we age, especially after fifty, and usually they’re harmless. Doctors will tell you that most people eventually tune them out. But sometimes they change. On Wednesday, while we were driving home from an overnight trip, something felt different. It was my left eye. The floaters suddenly looked darker, heavier, and there were flashes of light along the edge of my vision—almost like a bright crescent moon flickering on and off. At first, I tried to ignore it. After everything ...