Skip to main content

Teachers and "Nixon is the One!"

Sacred Heart Catholic School, 3rd Grade, at the Idaho Capitol May 14, 2014
On May 14, 2014, I accompanied my son’s third grade class on a tour of the Idaho capitol building. Our son goes to Sacred Heart Catholic School, and I helped his wonderful teacher with some logistics. 

When I was in the third grade myself, I visited the Idaho Capitol building. I have always been interested in politics. In 2nd grade, I supported Nixon in the 1968 election! I still have my old “Nixon Is the One” button! I was eight years old. Our son asked, "Were you always a geek Dad!"


Mark Dunham at the Capitol 1969
Mark Dunham at the Capitol 2014
Because of the Capitol tour, our son has been asking a lot of questions about presidents, Idaho history, and government. Our son’s teacher is a great educator who keeps the kids interested. Keeping third graders interested is a challenge.

But, “Mrs. G” has a way of making learning fun.

I thought a lot about my own teachers from Kindergarten through college. I have a handful of “teachers” who I admire even now. They were not “just teachers,” they embodied the best attributes of teachers. I found a list of teacher attributes from Maria Orlando, EdD in Philosophy of Teaching:

A great teacher respects students. In a great teacher’s classroom, each person’s ideas and opinions are valued. Students feel safe to express their feelings and learn to respect and listen to others. This teacher creates a welcoming learning environment for all students.

A great teacher creates a sense of community and belonging in the classroom. The mutual respect in this teacher’s classroom provides a supportive, collaborative environment. In this small community, there are rules to follow and jobs to be done and each student is aware that he or she is an important, integral part of the group. A great teacher lets students know that they can depend not only on her, but also on the entire class.

A great teacher is warm, accessible, enthusiastic and caring. This person is approachable, not only to students, but to everyone on campus or the school. This is the teacher to whom students know they can go with any problems or concerns or even to share a funny story. Great teachers possess good listening skills and take time out of their way-too-busy schedules for anyone who needs them. If this teacher is having a bad day, no one ever knows—the teacher leaves personal baggage outside the school doors.

A great teacher sets high expectations for all students. This teacher realizes that the expectations she has for her students greatly affect their achievement; she knows that students generally give to teachers as much or as little as is expected of them.

A great teacher has his own love of learning and inspires students with his passion for education and for the course material. He constantly renews himself as a professional on his quest to provide students with the highest quality of education possible. This teacher has no fear of learning new teaching strategies or incorporating new technologies into lessons, and always seems to be the one who is willing to share what he’s learned with colleagues.

A great teacher is a skilled leader. Different from administrative leaders, effective teachers focus on shared decision-making and teamwork, as well as on community building. This great teacher conveys this sense of leadership to students by providing opportunities for each of them to assume leadership roles.

A great teacher can “shift-gears” and is flexible when a lesson isn’t working. This teacher assesses his teaching throughout the lessons and finds new ways to present material to make sure that every student understands the key concepts.

A great teacher collaborates with colleagues on an ongoing basis. Rather than thinking of herself as weak because she asks for suggestions or help, this teacher views collaboration as a way to learn from a fellow professional. A great teacher uses constructive criticism and advice as an opportunity to grow as an educator.

A great teacher maintains professionalism in all areas—from personal appearance to organizational skills and preparedness for each day. Her communication skills are exemplary, whether she is speaking with an administrator, one of her students or a colleague. The respect that the great teacher receives because of her professional manner is obvious to those around her.

For me, these specific teachers made learning fun, interesting and thought provoking:
Twin Falls High School
  • Dorothy Guest, my 4th Grade teacher at Morningside Elementary School in Twin Falls, Idaho.
  • Mary Lu Barry, Twin Falls High School.
  • Susan LaBeau Pliler, Twin Falls High School.
  • Ed Chupa, Twin Falls High School.
  • Dr. Laurel Traynowicz, Ph.D. Boise State University.
  • Dr. Phoebe Lundy, Ph.D. Boise State University.
  • Dr. Barry Asmus, Ph.D. Boise State University.
  • Mark Dunham, BSU Distinguished Alumni, 2012
  • Dr. John Mitchell, Ph.D. Boise State University.
Each of those teachers had an amazing influence on my life. They challenged me so much. They made me think about my biases and my beliefs. Those 7 incredible teachers made me the man that I am today. I am grateful for their mentorship and patience.

I wonder when our son looks back on his teachers, who will be the ones that he will remember? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is