Skip to main content

Strokes, Mountain Dew and Beef Stew

Early this morning I drove to the grocery store to get Downy. At the store, I bought bacon,  stew meat, eggs, bacon and English muffins. 

This morning, I'll be making breakfast and preparing beef stew for dinner.

On the way to the grocery store, I drove to to get my Mountain Dew, which is my last vice since the strokes. Returning from the store, I drove to Dutch Brothers coffee to surprise my wife with a skinny mocha.

Basically, it seems like a typical Sunday morning. 

The severity of my strokes two and a half years ago makes this typical Sunday morning a miracle.

This typical Sunday morning belies the fact that when my strokes happened, most people -- including my doctors and therapists -- believed I would never have that typical Sunday morning again. 

Consider this morning:

I got dressed. Alone.

I made sure that I had my wallet, my car keys, and my phone.

I drove to Jackson's, Fred Meyer and Dutch brothers.

I conversed with several clerks at the stores. We joked and laughed and they have no idea that I couldn't talk two years ago.

On the fly at the store, I decided to make beef stew for dinner and for breakfast, I will make a quasi Eggs Benedict dish. 

Wandering about the store, I was thinking about the ingredients I need and will use for my recipes.

The goal for the morning is to get Downy fabric softener to finish our laundry. I checked the Downy fragrances, and I made sure the that I chose was on sale. The stew meat was also on sale.

When I checked out, I did self check out and processed my debit card. 

This 45 minute process from garage to store and home again seems so simple. This trip was liberating for me but it was not simple.

The process of going to stores is not simple when you have strokes. Everything I have to do is deliberate and carefully thought out.

When you see my brain scan realized that 20% of my brain is dead, driving to the store alone, ordering coffee and a Mountain Dew, and planning a complicated meal almost makes me emotional because I'm so happy.

However, what is not normal now, I did not buy a newspaper which was my normal Sunday morning ritual. When you cannot read very well because of my strokes, you realize that physically, people think I am "just fine." I am not. Yet....

I still have a long way to go, but I relish a typical Sunday morning that most people take for granted. When you have a stroke, nothing is "typical."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Faces of the American Dream

The massive wave of Norwegian immigration to Minnesota from the 1850s through the early 20th century wasn't a casual choice; it was an escape from crushing land scarcity and economic desperation.  My ancestors, the Dunhams, arrived in 1851 and built a life in Otter Tail County in Minnesota. My great-great-grandfather, Jens Christian Dunham, didn’t just survive—he thrived. He served in the Minnesota legislature as a Republican from 1888 to 1890 and later became a staunch advocate for President Teddy Roosevelt. He was the literal embodiment of the American Dream: an immigrant who fled poverty to become a lawmaker in his new home. Fast forward a century, and a new wave of immigrants—this time from Somalia—is following that exact same blueprint. Like the Norwegians before them, they fled hardship to build a future in Minnesota, and many have run for office to serve the state that welcomed them. Yet, the political rhetoric surrounding these two groups couldn't be more polarized. Don...

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind...

Eye floaters, Strokes, Another ER visit….

It is always something.... I’ve had eye floaters for as long as I can remember. My paternal grandmother had them. My brothers have them too. They’ve always been part of my vision—little drifting specks, threads, and shadows moving across my sight. Over time, you learn to live with them. Sometimes they swirl around, sometimes they settle toward the bottom of your vision, and most of the time you simply ignore them. Floaters are actually tiny clumps inside the eye that cast shadows on the retina. They’re common as we age, especially after fifty, and usually they’re harmless. Doctors will tell you that most people eventually tune them out. But sometimes they change. On Wednesday, while we were driving home from an overnight trip, something felt different. It was my left eye. The floaters suddenly looked darker, heavier, and there were flashes of light along the edge of my vision—almost like a bright crescent moon flickering on and off. At first, I tried to ignore it. After everything ...