Skip to main content

Stroke and Seizure Shorts

Selfie!
When I started to do my blog, it was basically for a diary of sorts. I realized that I needed a way to share memories of our son. Life is short, and sometimes I do not remember funny or insightful things our son says. 

Here are some random anecdotes collected for three months:

“Daddy! When you try to sing, it's like a horror movie on radio!”


Seizure  Shorts
“I'd like to get a rabbit or a video game or a bow & arrow. Never mind. I'm not responsible enough to have a weapon or pet so I'll just have a video game instead.”

Getting ready one morning, Ethan kept trying to find his "seizure shorts." I asked what he meant. He said, "These shorts are neon orange with crazy patterns Dad. They could cause a stroke and seizure like you had!" And he laughed. We all laughed which is a good thing!

Driving with me, Ethan said, “Oh no! I am cursed! I repeat things, I talk too loud, and talk a lot. The Saxton gene!” That is his mom’s maiden name!


I read a study recently saying“Always kiss your children goodnight even if they’re already asleep.” I do that anyway, but I showed that report to our son. He said, “Daddy. If you kissed me when I was asleep, did you give me rabies in the night?  Hmmm?”

In a very serious tone, Ethan said, “I've been swimming so much this summer that my tan line is getting darker. Good thing I don't have a speedo!”

Ethan and his best friend Hayden are dismantling an old bike and old John Deere play tractor to build a go-cart. "Dad! We need a gun turret!!" Wreckage ensues.

One  day, Ethan said, “Daddy! Sometimes I just need to dance!” And he did. I hope he keeps dancing throughout his life.

Out of the blue, Ethan said, “Dad. I am a "slugpire!" That means I am a slug and a vampire. This summer basically I am a slug and I stay up way too late and sleep a long time in the morning! So I made a new word: slugpire!”

Ethan whispered in my ear, “I am simply not here.” Stealth boy.

Pondering what to do next, he said, “Dad. For the go cart I need a transmission and a welder. And probably an engine. Can you handle that?”

Driving with my son, we were behind an old man who was driving too slowly for my son. "Move it old man!” he cried. I responded, "Do you consider me to be ‘old?’" Without missing a beat, he responded, "NO! But maaaaaaybeeeeee” like Dr. Evil from Austin Powers.  

Perhaps I am OLD, but our son keeps me grounded and makes me feel young again! I cannot wait for the next posts I will collected in a few months!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Faces of the American Dream

The massive wave of Norwegian immigration to Minnesota from the 1850s through the early 20th century wasn't a casual choice; it was an escape from crushing land scarcity and economic desperation.  My ancestors, the Dunhams, arrived in 1851 and built a life in Otter Tail County in Minnesota. My great-great-grandfather, Jens Christian Dunham, didn’t just survive—he thrived. He served in the Minnesota legislature as a Republican from 1888 to 1890 and later became a staunch advocate for President Teddy Roosevelt. He was the literal embodiment of the American Dream: an immigrant who fled poverty to become a lawmaker in his new home. Fast forward a century, and a new wave of immigrants—this time from Somalia—is following that exact same blueprint. Like the Norwegians before them, they fled hardship to build a future in Minnesota, and many have run for office to serve the state that welcomed them. Yet, the political rhetoric surrounding these two groups couldn't be more polarized. Don...

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind...

Eye floaters, Strokes, Another ER visit….

It is always something.... I’ve had eye floaters for as long as I can remember. My paternal grandmother had them. My brothers have them too. They’ve always been part of my vision—little drifting specks, threads, and shadows moving across my sight. Over time, you learn to live with them. Sometimes they swirl around, sometimes they settle toward the bottom of your vision, and most of the time you simply ignore them. Floaters are actually tiny clumps inside the eye that cast shadows on the retina. They’re common as we age, especially after fifty, and usually they’re harmless. Doctors will tell you that most people eventually tune them out. But sometimes they change. On Wednesday, while we were driving home from an overnight trip, something felt different. It was my left eye. The floaters suddenly looked darker, heavier, and there were flashes of light along the edge of my vision—almost like a bright crescent moon flickering on and off. At first, I tried to ignore it. After everything ...