Skip to main content

DUNHAM ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT FROM BOARD OF TRUSTEES AT THE COLLEGE OF WESTERN IDAHO

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1YLdqF7cYG3eJSZaWuM4vEcmfpEPJWjT1
Endorses Senator Cherie Buckner-Webb as his replacement

(Boise/Nampa) Mark Dunham, one of the original board members for the College of Western Idaho, announced today that he will not seek another term. 

In July of 2007, the State Board of Education appointed Dunham to be on the Board of the College of Western Idaho when voters in Ada and Canyon Counties approved the formation of a new community college. Dunham successfully ran three times for the board.

“The highlight of my professional career has been serving on the CWI board. I love our students and their successes. For 13 years, I have put my whole heart and soul into the College of Western Idaho. However, I look forward to supporting a trustee who will continue to serve the Treasure Valley and the diverse community we all serve. I have been involved in Idaho’s higher education world for 25 years. A new trustee will bring a different perspective to the issues. Change is a good thing,” said Dunham.  
 
Dunham went on to note, “CWI has always embraced inclusiveness yet I worry that many people feel left behind. A new trustee has a huge opportunity and responsibility to make a difference in students’ lives.”
 
Dunham says he will endorse retiring Idaho State Senator Cherie-Buckner-Webb who will run for the Zone 5 of the CWI Board of Trustee.
 
“I’m am so happy to lend my support to Senator Buckner-Webb. Her commitment to education and fostering opportunities for others reflects my values. We are both committed to the vision statement of CWI which is to “expand learning and life opportunities, (to) encourage individual advancement, contribute to Idaho’s economic growth, strengthen community prosperity and develop leaders.” 
 
In the past 13 years, CWI has experienced rapid enrollment growth. Dunham said, “When the original trustees started, we had nothing other than two buildings, 100 acres, and a dream. We did not even have a telephone. We had no staff. It was a daunting task. As I leave the board of trustees, I’m grateful for the dedicated leadership of the trustees (past and present), faculty, and the administration. In particular,  I appreciate President Bert Glandon’s steadfast leadership and vision.”
 
Dunham continued, “Our first enrollment in 2009 was less than 1,300. At the time, a local newspaper essentially said we were a failure. In May of 2019, CWI celebrated our 10th graduating class. We have more than 33,000 students. Some failure!”
 
In January of 2012, Dunham suffered two strokes within a weeks’ time, the second of which left him unable to communicate. He endured weeks in the hospital and years of therapy. Despite his strokes, Dunham never missed a meeting.
 
“My strokes were devastating in so many ways,” he continued. “Continuing serving on the CWI board was a pivotal role in my healing process. Struggling to talk at board meetings and exercising my brain through dealing with the myriad of complex issues was emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausting for me. Yet, that trauma made me a more empathetic trustee. I think about the students and their challenges. How can we help our students succeed? That is the bottom line for me.”
 
Though Dunham is leaving the CWI board, he will continue his advocacy for CWI and the mission. “Not running again is a hard decision for me. However, I want to focus on my health and my family.”
 
In addition to Zone 5, there are two (2) other zones that up for election in 2020; Zone 3 and Zone 1. Interested persons must live within the particular zone from which they run. They stand for election by the entire district (Ada and Canyon Counties) and represent the entire community college district. Terms are 4-years in length. Petitions for candidacy must be filed no later than September 1, 2020.
 
For more information on serving on the Board of Trustees, zone maps and other information, please visit: www.cwi.edu/info/election-information
 
For more information on CWI, the Board of Trustees and programs for students, please visit: www.cwi.edu
 
#####

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is