Skip to main content

"See you in 18 years"


I've been attending the Idaho Governor's Cup in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho the past two days, and I'm flying home early because my 3.5 year old son starts soccer for the very first time tomorrow morning. I don't want to miss it. As I checked out of the hotel early this morning, many people expressed surprise, but Governor Otter said, "Good for you! You've got your priorities straight." I couldn't help but think of his comment when some friends with a toddler son waved goodbye in the hotel lobby saying "Here you go. Soccer is taking over. See you in 18 years." I've had several friends express disdain for even exposing their toddlers to soccer due to the parents' concern about their own schedule. I understand that feeling, and the prospect of chilly Autumn mornings watching a group of toddlers chase a ball is not my idea of fun. On the other hand, I want to give my boy every opportunity to develop a wide group of interests and opportunities. When my father was dying of cancer years ago -- long before I thought of having a child -- he gave me some good advice: "I spent so many years working too many hours because I thought that's what you did to provide for your family. But now I realize that by working too much for my family, I almost lost my family. Don't make that mistake." So, all these years later as I sit in an airport waiting to fly home to my family, I can't help but echo the Governor about my priorities. So...see you in 18 years! I'll be a better person for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Faces of the American Dream

The massive wave of Norwegian immigration to Minnesota from the 1850s through the early 20th century wasn't a casual choice; it was an escape from crushing land scarcity and economic desperation.  My ancestors, the Dunhams, arrived in 1851 and built a life in Otter Tail County in Minnesota. My great-great-grandfather, Jens Christian Dunham, didn’t just survive—he thrived. He served in the Minnesota legislature as a Republican from 1888 to 1890 and later became a staunch advocate for President Teddy Roosevelt. He was the literal embodiment of the American Dream: an immigrant who fled poverty to become a lawmaker in his new home. Fast forward a century, and a new wave of immigrants—this time from Somalia—is following that exact same blueprint. Like the Norwegians before them, they fled hardship to build a future in Minnesota, and many have run for office to serve the state that welcomed them. Yet, the political rhetoric surrounding these two groups couldn't be more polarized. Don...

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind...

Eye floaters, Strokes, Another ER visit….

It is always something.... I’ve had eye floaters for as long as I can remember. My paternal grandmother had them. My brothers have them too. They’ve always been part of my vision—little drifting specks, threads, and shadows moving across my sight. Over time, you learn to live with them. Sometimes they swirl around, sometimes they settle toward the bottom of your vision, and most of the time you simply ignore them. Floaters are actually tiny clumps inside the eye that cast shadows on the retina. They’re common as we age, especially after fifty, and usually they’re harmless. Doctors will tell you that most people eventually tune them out. But sometimes they change. On Wednesday, while we were driving home from an overnight trip, something felt different. It was my left eye. The floaters suddenly looked darker, heavier, and there were flashes of light along the edge of my vision—almost like a bright crescent moon flickering on and off. At first, I tried to ignore it. After everything ...