Skip to main content

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.


"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated!" Mark Twain

On March 17, 2012, there was a benefit for me, and I heard over 500 people attended. I was there, and I was astonished that so many people cared about me. Very humbling.

My stroke was 11 months ago, and now I am beginning to work again. I will be taking it slow! The doctors have been dumbfounded that I am doing so well, but I should not push it. I can drive again. I am writing. I am reading. I sought reelection for the College of Western Idaho Board, and I won! My family is doing great! So, I'm happy.

At my benefit on March 17th, one of my friends said "most people do not enjoy their own funeral!" I am taking the advice to heart, and I am living proof that second chances are real.

I just cannot imagine that my "press" is real. I am a just "me." I am very irreverent and I laugh a lot! 

One of the first things I wanted to do, was to return to my legislative activity. I am very grateful that I will be joining a firm that I have so much respect for.  

This was the announcement about me:

"Risch Pisca is pleased to announce that Mark Dunham is joining the firm as a legislative consultant. Mr. Dunham has had a very long and distinguished career in Idaho Policy and Politics with a very heavy emphasis on tax policy, construction, real estate and education. Mr. Dunham is the former CEO of the Associated General Contractors of Idaho, former CEO of the Idaho Association of REALTORS, former vice-president of the Idaho Association of Commerce and Industry, and former governmental affairs liaison for Boise State University. Mr. Dunham currently is a trustee elected to the Board of Trustees for the College of Western Idaho."

I did not think that the media would care!

The Spokesman Review

Eye on Boise


Dunham joins Risch Pisca

The Boise law and lobbying firm Risch Pisca has announced that Mark Dunham, former CEO of the Associated General Contractors of Idaho, is joining the firm as a legislative consultant. “Mr. Dunham has had a very long and distinguished career in Idaho Policy and Politics with a very heavy emphasis on tax policy, construction, real estate and education,” partner Jeremy Pisca said in the firm's announcement. Dunham is an elected trustee of the College of Western Idaho; and served for 18 years as the CEO of the Idaho Association of Realtors. He left his position with the contractors in June to focus on his recovery after he suffered a stroke in January.


The Idaho Business  Review

Dunham joins Risch Pisca

by Brad Iverson-Long
Published: December 11,2012 

Mark Dunham, the former executive director of the Associated General Contractors of Idaho, is joining Risch Pisca, a Boise law and lobbying firm, as a legislative consultant. Dunham left his post with the AGC after suffering a stroke in January.

Jeremy Pisca, a partner at the firm, said Dunham will assist him on education and transportation policy issues, including his proposed Transportation and Economic Development Zone plan.
“Mark’s got quite a background in transportation issues, so it seems logical that he’ll be helping me with that,” Pisca said.

Dunham also serves on the College of Western Idaho’s board of trustees. He is the former vice-president of the Idaho Association of Commerce and Industry and also served as governmental affairs liaison for Boise State University. Before that, he served as the CEO of the Idaho Association of Realtors for 19 years.

Dunham resigned from the AGC in June. He’s been replaced by Wayne Hammon, the former budget director for Idaho Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter. On a blog he continues to update, Dunham wrote that he suffered a tear in his carotid artery on Jan. 10 before suffering a massive stroke three days later while in the intensive care unit.

Read more: http://idahobusinessreview.com/2012/12/11/dunham-joins-risch-pisca/#ixzz2EsbCeJdf



The Idaho Statesman

Dunham takes job as Idaho legislative consultant

By Bill Roberts 

Mark Dunham, former CEO of the Associated General Contractors who suffered a stroke in January, has become a legislative consultant at Risch Pisca, a Boise law and policy firm. Dunham is a member of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees and has had a long career in Idaho policy and politics, with an emphasis on tax policy, construction, real estate and education.

Comments

Anonymous said…
But you're not just ANY Mark, you are my Mark and I know you are meant for great things. I never had a doubt you would recover from your stroke. I am proud of all the hard work you have done toward your recovery and I can't wait to see where you will be a year from now. I love you tons...... the girl you married 12 years ago.......

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is