Skip to main content

The Truth About Stroke – World Stroke Day is October 29

The Idaho Statesman published my Guest Opinion this morning. October 29, 2015 is "World Stroke Day." I published this to help raise awareness about strokes. 

The Truth About Stroke – World Stroke Day is October 29

About 800,000 people in the United States have a stroke every year and someone dies from one every four minutes.

On January 10, 2012, I had a stroke. And three days later, while in the hospital, I suffered a massive stroke. My right arm was partially paralyzed. I lost all communication: speaking and writing. I did not know my own name.

Before my strokes, I was a lot like you – a busy Dad, working hard to support my family and I thought I was in good health. I was an elected official as a board member at the College of Western Idaho and Executive Director of the Associated General Contractors, a large trade association. I was a prominent state lobbyist and educator. I was a master multi-tasker making presentations and speeches throughout the nation.  Even more importantly, I was a husband and the father of a six-year old boy.

The truth is stroke is the world’s second-leading cause of death and No. 5 in the United States. It’s also a leading cause of long-term disability – though largely preventable and treatable. Fewer than one in 10 people know what each F.A.S.T. letter means and one in three people can’t name any stroke signs, according to American Stroke Association studies.  
As part of World Stroke Day on Oct. 29, the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association is urging Idahoans to learn the warning signs of stroke. Personally, I can’t emphasize knowing the signs of stroke – it happened to me – it could happen to you or a loved one.
F.A. S.T. has four sudden signs of stroke. When you spot any of the four signs, call 9-1-1 for help right away. 
F.A.S.T. is:
Face Drooping – Does one side of the face droop or is it numb? Ask the person to smile. Is the person's smile uneven?

Arm Weakness – Is one arm weak or numb? Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?

Speech Difficulty – Is speech slurred? Is the person unable to speak or hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence, like "The sky is blue." Is the sentence repeated correctly?

Time to call 9-1-1 – If someone shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call 9-1-1 and get the person to the hospital immediately. Check the time so you'll know when the first symptoms appeared.

After my strokes, I endured years of intense occupational, physical, speech and vision therapy. At the time, I thought life was over. It’s a daily struggle, but with the support of my family and friends I have beat many odds. I am so grateful for my second chance in life.

Today I am still on the Board of the College of Western Idaho and was appointed by Governor Butch Otter to serve on the Board of Commissioners Idaho Housing and Finance Association. I’ve also become a strong advocate for stroke prevention and awareness and proudly serve as a board member for the Idaho American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.

If you remember one point from my story, please remember this: A stroke is devastating and it can happen to anyone. Know the four F.A.S.T. signs of stroke – it could just save your life or a loved one’s.

To learn more information about the symptoms and warning signs of stroke, please visit www.heart.org.


Mark P. Dunham

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is