Skip to main content

Pain Scale: Physical and Emotional

The results are in! I still have brain damage! However, the MRI and MRA procedures I had last Friday show that my brain images are just the same as a year ago. That is good news!

The bad news is I still have neck pain since the rear-end collision I experienced last January. Despite PT, X-Rays, and very rough brain scans I have pain.

In the hospital after my strokes, nurses posted a “pain scale” for me to describe my pain level. At that point, I needed the chart because I could not talk.

During my PT because of the rear-ender, one of my therapists asked about my pain. I said, “In the hospital after my massive stroke, the doctor had to insert a port into my heart. That pain was a 10. It was awful!”

The PT is helping. Nevertheless, I still get some sharp shooting pains.


I sometimes wonder if the neck pain will just be there forever.

I have also considered that I am getting older. Is the neck pain the result of the collision or being 55 years old?

Years ago, my doctor saw me for some ache or pain. I was describing my pain. 

He smirked, and said, “Well, you are 40 now. Your body will get more aches and pains. It is just life and being older.”

I use the pain scale often because of the PT and otherwise. It is handy to describe all sorts of pain.

The loud banging noise during MRI’s and MRA’s are about a 7.

The sharp shooting pain because of the collision varied from 3 to 9 or 10.

The actual first stroke on the pain scale was pretty minor. However, the migraines the lead up to the strokes were about an 8.

Just doing this blog typing in my home office, my upper back is painful…about a 7.

That is just the actual pain in my shoulder and neck.

In my brain, the internal pain is getting more profound. The concentration I need to type gets worse as I go.

Preparing for and attending meetings is the same concept. My pain when I start doing any actively is about 2 or 3. I also have some pain. Again, I am getting older.  Throughout an activity – especially when I have to speak and/or think a lot – my threshold of pain decreases exponentially. By the end of a long meeting, my pain is about 8 or 9.

The next day, I am exhausted and have to sleep a long time. That next day, the pain can be a 9 or a 10.

I do think I have a high pain tolerance. I also believe I have a high pain tolerance for emotions, stamina, persistence, and patience.

However, I do have some limits. I am testing my limits because of this man rear-ended me. Certainly, his insurance is covering the basic stuff.  

Yet, wearing my old Economist major hat, my “opportunity cost” is getting exorbitant. What is “opportunity cost?”  


In other words, I am just tired of using my limited financial and brain capacity to deal with this situation. I have to drive, use gas, use MY time, miss other things, etc. 

HIS choices have left ME know choices. 

I am pissed off with a headache and back pain. Not a good combination. 

Comments

Rebecca Dutton said…
I also have a high pain tolerance which I've learned is not good. I can push through pain until it is intolerable which makes any intervention fail. I'm glad you are being pro-active by going to PT.

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is