Skip to main content

Simple tasks and injuries


For several months, I have been updating our upstairs with new carpet and paint. It seems simple really. For my “DYI” projects, we have new carpet in two bedrooms plus new paint in three rooms and an upper hallway. Those jobs took days!

In addition, also helped a couple of relatives repair some carpet issues. Those “simple jobs” took several hours.

In the “old days” that would have been simple.

In high school and college, I installed carpet for a living. With my older brothers who owned a residential construction firm, I learned a lot such as painting and finish work. Those skills served me well throughout when I flipped house as a hobby. I still have the tools and the skills.

However, because of my strokes and aphasia, updating carpet and paint tested my brain and stamina.  

For example, measuring carpet used to be easy. When my brothers would build a house, I would install the carpet. Carpet rolls are usually 12 feet by whatever we need. I would get a huge roll of carpet, I would complete a complicated carpet job in several days. In a 2,000 square foot house, I would use my math skills to figure out how to make cuts without too much waste. I could easily take 4 pieces of carpet and seam the carpet into on piece for a bedroom for example.

Installing two rooms of carpet in our house was confusing for me. I cannot understand simple math and a basic tape measure is almost foreign. Plus, sometimes my short term memory is an issue. If I actually understand the measurements, I cannot remember the measurements!

For the bedrooms in our house, my 14 year old son did the measuring. We triple checked ever measurement “just in case.”      

For paint, I could figure out how much paint to buy in my head. I was adept “cutting in a ceiling” without getting paint in the ceiling and the wall.

Should I even mention the blood? I will.

When I was a finish carpenter and a carpet installer, I routinely cut myself. It happens. For carpet installation, you have to use very sharp razor blades. I have scars to prove it.

Doing a simple job has risks for me now. Because of the aphasia and apraxia, I cannot be in a hurry. Often, I will grab the wrong side of the carpet knife which is dangerous for me. In my head, I grab the knife correctly yet in reality I use it incorrectly and cut myself. These two pictures might explain that happens.


These are three basic tools to install carpets: Hammer, razor knife, and a “tamper.” One photo shows the knife blade on the top of the photo. The other photo shows the knife blade on the bottom. If I get careless, I grab the knife “upside down” and cut myself.

Which I did recently!
Given my strokes and aphasia, I am proud of myself. Because of blood thinners I need to take to survive, I completed all of those tasks with minimal blood loss and bruising.

The next project I will undertake is a new and simple mantle and painting the fireplace. I hope my son will to the measuring and have Band-Aids ready for his dad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is