Skip to main content

Stroke survivors are champions of social distancing


In the midst of this bizarre pandemic, in my little world, this situation is “just inconvenient.” I prepared for social isolation 8 years ago when I had my strokes in January of 2012.  

Stroke survivors are champions of social distancing before it was a "thing!"

That month I lost my ability to communicate, my job, my security, and what I thought was my identity. Despite my strength, the strokes did not prepare me for the catastrophic social isolation that ensued.

For the first year of my recovery, the isolation was overwhelming in several ways. Because of my aphasia, I could not communicate. The loss of literal of my voice was horrifying. I could not talk at all. Even now, 8 years later, my “speaking” is hesitant and slower. Later in the day, I miss words and get confused. Everything is very deliberate.

Aphasia is not just the loss of “talking.” For me, it is the loss of reading, handwriting, and some aspects of math.


Today as I type this blog post, I am “speaking” the words as I type. My ability to express myself in this simple way is lifeline for me.

However, my biggest adjustment was the social isolation of personal and professional friendships. I was always a “people person.” I loved to laugh. I relished making speeches, presentations, and testifying at the legislature which was my job for over 30 years.

The old adage “you do not know who your friends are until…” hit my like a ton of bricks. I was a pretty high profile and admittedly powerful lobbyist “before.”  When you do not have an influential political action committee behind you, “friends” drop you.

The social isolation continues when people realize that I am not “completely recovered.” I am lucky in some respects because I do not show any outward signs of my strokes. There is no paralysis though my right are gets weak when I tired. However, I will always have my “invisible brain scars” because 20% of my brain is dead. As a result, many friends were so sad about losing the “happy fun Mark,” they subtlety drifted away. 

Nevertheless, my social isolation was 80% my fault. I did not reach out because I did not want sympathy. I did not want people to question my “disability because you like fine.” Those are my choices. I like to be alone now. I also enjoy the opportunity to be with my family more than I would have. Before my strokes, I was missing my son’s childhood.

Before this pandemic, I was not completely isolated. I am still on the Board of the College of Western Idaho. Governor Butch Otter appointed me to be on the Board of the Idaho Housing and Finance Association. I am two related housing boards as well. I have rejoined the Idaho chapter of the American Heart and Stroke Association. I am on a board for St. Luke’s hospital.

My proudest achievement is the Idaho Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria. I cofounded this support group. I chaired the weekly meetings before the pandemic. I also started the group’s Facebook and Twitter presence.   

Survivors of Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria are the champions of social distancing. We have been practicing for years!  Too many people, loud noises, distractions, and stimulations are difficult with these conditions. Solitary walks and activities are the norms.  

When the pandemic is over, other people will go back to the old habits. I hope that people will reflect on this situation. People need to contemplate what is really important in life. Social distancing was a shocker for people who took their jobs, kids, parents, friends, neighbors, grocery cashiers, barbers, wait staffs, etc. for granted.

I do not take those little things for granted. I used to take social situations for granted. I do not anymore. When social distancing is over, I hope people will remember the lessons learned when the whole world simply had to stop.      

Comments

Rebecca Dutton said…
Love the Boise State face mask. When I started typing after my stroke I always spelled words in my head as I typed. When writing a check I still say the words "one-hundred forty and.." to prevent embarassing errors.
mpdunham said…
I still make mistakes!

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is