Skip to main content

Did it hurt?

My parents, Karl and Faye Brown, and me in April after my stroke in January. 
13 months ago, I had two strokes. Since then, not many people have asked "did it hurt?" That seems to be a logical question, but most people to not ask. Why? Maybe because the do not want to pry.

But, I know people want to know.

Did it hurt?

Was I conscious?

Well, I can answer those questions.

About September, 2011, I was so tired. People told me that I was drawn, pale, and gray.

On December 23, 2011, I had a unusual headache. My vision on the left side was odd...almost fuzzy. And, on my right temple, I noticed array of colors. I kinda hurt, but not too bad. I have had normal headaches, so, other than the "aura" on December 23, 2011, that pain was not much. The headache was gone in less than 10 minutes.

I thought, "wow. That was weird. Maybe a migraine? Oh well."

But, those unusual headaches continued, and the duration was got longer.

I went to my doctor, and he ordered an MRI. That was January 6, 2012. They could not figure out what was wrong. The next step was to order a EKG.

January 9, 2012: I had another episode during a breakfast at the College of Western Idaho where I am a Trustee. Later that day, I attended a legislative social. I left early because I was so tired.

On January 10, 2012, I got up early about 5:00. Our son decided to sleep with us, so I did not sleep well. But, I got my newspaper, my routine Mountain Dew, and I got ready to turn on the TV.

But I could not.

I could not figure out how to turn on the TV. How odd. So, I thought I was too tired so should go back to sleep for a bit. When that did not work -- getting the TV to work -- I realized something was really wrong. I stood up, and I collapsed. My right side was paralyzed. Oh my God!

In my head, I was calling out saying "Help me!" and I was struggling to get to our bedroom door. Also, I was so concerned about my son. I did not want my son to see what was happening to me.

Again, in my head, I was coherent. For my wife and son, I was babbling. My son shouted "call 911!" My wife had the presence of mind to realize I has having a stroke.

I was conscious and there was no pain at all. I remember the ambulance ride. I remember the room in the ER. I remember my wife and son, and my friend that took my son to school.

I was just relieved that I might be OK.

Fast forward, I was making a remarkable recovery. The doctors said "you'll need some speech therapy and take some time off." I was moved out of intensive care.

On January 13, 2012, the nurse (she was from Russia...I remembered) check on me. I was fine and my vitals were fine. I asked her to turn on the TV and she did. She shut off the lights and shut the door.

Then something happened. I could not move. I was so scared. I could not reach my call button because I was paralyzed. I remembered that I was saying "help me" in my head, but I could not speak.

But, there was no pain at all.

It seems like hours before the found me, but I assumed it was just a few minutes. I was crying. Though I was conscious the whole time, the concept of time was foreign to me.

Then there was so much activity. Nurses galore. I realized there were getting me ready to do another CT scan. I remember the long almost dark hallway. They were was so urgent.

That hallway seemed so long, and remembered my dad telling me that I will be OK. I am not a really spiritual, but I have a vivid memory about my dad saying "you will be fine." My dad died on December 28, 1993.

The rest of the morning was a blur. I remember crying a lot. I remembered that my wife kept telling me that "I will be fine." I was so confused and I was so upset that my Mom, stepdad, and my oldest brother, Dan, were coming. They lived out of town? Why are they coming to see me?

At that point, I realized they were coming to say goodbye. To me!

I was convinced that I was going to die.

It took some time for me to realize that I would not die. But, for several hours, I was convinced I was dying.

So, when people ask me about my stroke and the "pain," I did not really experience physical. Emotional pain? My emotional pain was worse that the physical pain.

No pain? Oh yes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is