Skip to main content

"Damn" memories anyway!

On a recent trip to Placerville, Idaho, we passed Lucky Peak Dam. The bottom of the dam there is a park called Sandy Point.

Some of my best childhood memories are in this park. During the summer when my dad was working, my beloved friend Carolyn and her son Doug would go to the park on Wednesdays and Saturday.

We didn't have a lot of money and this park was a cheap alternative. She would drive her old Cutlass or Buick station wagon, pack a lunch for us, and we would play in the water for hours and hours.

Carolyn insisted that Doug and I would place her blanket near an overweight lady. In that way Carolyn would laugh and say “I will look good by comparison!”

She would read magazines or books, play her portable radio, and watch as Doug and I would try to catch minnows and crawdads.

Those are vivid memories for me, but we were driving to Heather's cabin, I told her that sometimes the memories are too sad for me.

I said that it is ironic that my stroke did not cause any memory losses at all. I meant that sometimes if I had to have a stroke maybe it would've been better if I could excise some memories that are too painful for me.

Carolyn was like my second mom. So for me it seems like I lost four parents: my mom, my step dad, my dad and Carolyn.

When I hear an Ella Fitzgerald song I instantly think about my stepfather Karl. I love Ella but that music reminds me and my stepdad is gone. Whenever I barbecue a steak, I think about my dad. Whenever I hear a Patsy Cline song I think about my mom because she was a wonderful singer and she would often sing along to the radio with Patsy Cline's music.

When we passed the dam, I told my wife that some of these memories are too painful for me. Time has not lessened the pain in some respects.

So feeling sorry for myself because of my stroke, I said that it's ironic that I have no memory loss even though I would like to have selective memory loss. I have thought about that a lot lately. A stroke can cause anyone to be so despondent and sad. You can dwell on your stroke and all of the things that have gone wrong in your life. 

Part of this is you get mad about the losses of people that you love. A stroke is a blow, and the loss of loved ones who love YOU really compounds the agony of my loss.

As my wife often does, she said change your perspective. Embrace those memories. Don't think about the people that I have lost, rather think about the fun memories in those moments that were both fun and so very real. I can hear Carolyn humming “I Can See Clearly Now” by Johnny Nash.  I can hear Karl telling me about his favorite album “Thirty by Ella.” I can think about my dad going to Buttrey Foods and ordering thick tenderloin steaks. I can think about Mom laughing and singing when she did housework.


I thought about this a lot over the weekend.  She is right. I should celebrate my memories rather than try to forget them. But, it is hard. I will work on it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is