Skip to main content

“Wish You Well” by David Baldacci and strokes

“I read a book.”

The fact that a read a book seems trivial until you realize that I haven’t read a book for two years because of my strokes. Reading was my hobby, and that fact that I could not read anything is demoralizing for me.

It took me several months to complete the book. I often thought I would not do it. But, I had incentive because a long lost relative gave a book to me hoping it would give me incentive to read a certain book called “Wish You Well” by David Baldacci. 

First published in 2001, the story starts with the Cardinal family moving from New York to California due to money problems, then shifts to the mountains of Virginia after a car accident leaves the father dead and the mother paralyzed. The time period is in the 1940s.

It was incredibly difficult for me to read that book. I used to read so fast. Now, I do reading therapy, but I still get frustrated. To read at all, I need to have no distractions and I need to read very slowly. I have to read every word. If not, I have to back track. The process is humbling and maddening.

But, I did it for several reasons. First, I just wanted to prove to myself that I could to it at all. The second reason I had to read that book was to have a connection with my mom.  When she was on her death bed, Mom told me I should write a book about my strokes. I have a goal to do that -- when I can.

When Mom was dying, I asked Mom about her family often. She did not want to discuss it because she had a horrible childhood. When she was a girl, betrayal, beatings, and horrifying circumstances were her lot in life. I wanted to find out about her mother’s family. She found her mom when Mom’s was 22, and it was not a story book ending. I wanted to find out if there were any signs about strokes in our history. Mom gave me an address for a forgotten half-sister. Their “mother” died of an cerebral hemorrhage.

After Mom died, I started to research about Mom’s family. Through Mom’s half-sister, I found a woman who was Mom’s cousin. Out of the blue, I called her. It was a shock to her. They assumed the baby was adopted. I visited with her several times, and we met in May.  It was a great visit though we were sad that Mom did not live long enough to meet her cousins.

That cousin sent “Wish You Well” to me last fall. She sent a letter with the book, and in part she wrote, “I felt the connections of finding long lost relatives or in our case unknown relatives. I know that reading is difficult for you at this time.” She continued writing, “I thought of you in the courage displayed by the characters in the story. After your strokes, many people would have given up but you have fought your way back against all odds and now your story till help many others. I can’t tell you how proud I am of you.”   

That note meant the world to me. Through lost decades, her words encouraged me to read that book. Her note was a placeholder in the book. When I thought I could not go on, I read – slowly and halting -- that note, I persevered. It seemed that Mom was channeling her.

This book is filled with family history, tragedy, a stroke, and hope. It was a stunning book for me to read in so many ways. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Faces of the American Dream

The massive wave of Norwegian immigration to Minnesota from the 1850s through the early 20th century wasn't a casual choice; it was an escape from crushing land scarcity and economic desperation.  My ancestors, the Dunhams, arrived in 1851 and built a life in Otter Tail County in Minnesota. My great-great-grandfather, Jens Christian Dunham, didn’t just survive—he thrived. He served in the Minnesota legislature as a Republican from 1888 to 1890 and later became a staunch advocate for President Teddy Roosevelt. He was the literal embodiment of the American Dream: an immigrant who fled poverty to become a lawmaker in his new home. Fast forward a century, and a new wave of immigrants—this time from Somalia—is following that exact same blueprint. Like the Norwegians before them, they fled hardship to build a future in Minnesota, and many have run for office to serve the state that welcomed them. Yet, the political rhetoric surrounding these two groups couldn't be more polarized. Don...

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind...

Eye floaters, Strokes, Another ER visit….

It is always something.... I’ve had eye floaters for as long as I can remember. My paternal grandmother had them. My brothers have them too. They’ve always been part of my vision—little drifting specks, threads, and shadows moving across my sight. Over time, you learn to live with them. Sometimes they swirl around, sometimes they settle toward the bottom of your vision, and most of the time you simply ignore them. Floaters are actually tiny clumps inside the eye that cast shadows on the retina. They’re common as we age, especially after fifty, and usually they’re harmless. Doctors will tell you that most people eventually tune them out. But sometimes they change. On Wednesday, while we were driving home from an overnight trip, something felt different. It was my left eye. The floaters suddenly looked darker, heavier, and there were flashes of light along the edge of my vision—almost like a bright crescent moon flickering on and off. At first, I tried to ignore it. After everything ...