Skip to main content

PBS, the Beatles, and Memories

I've always liked PBS. Some of my favorite shows are on PBS such as “Keeping Up Appearances” and “Idaho Reports.”

I was watching a PBS show on Barbra Streisand recently. Though I abhor her politics, I love her voice.

I recorded that PBS Barbra Streisand performance. Often I record PBS shows so I can enjoy them later. Some of my favorite performances on PBS are when Ella Fitzgerald, Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra, the Beatles, and Barbara Streisand perform.

Part of the reasons that I would record those shows was to talk to my stepfather Karl Brown, my mom Faye Dunham Brown, and Carolyn Helland Root, a wonderful friend of mine. I would call them and say “Hey! You should watch PBS tonight because one of our favorite artists will perform.  After that, I will call you to discuss the show.

However, the problem is they are gone now. Sometimes, I get excited about a PBS show, and then I realize they are gone.   But I still record those shows out of memories of them. Old habits die hard.

I also hope some times that my wife and my son will watch shows with me. But they are not really interested especially my son. He has no concept of eclectic music and shows.

I have also realized that my taste in music stems from four people. 

Karl Brown was my stepfather. He instilled a love of Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald etc. He encouraged me to read as well. When I was a kid he would buy two copies of the same book. Then we would read it together, and he would discuss the book with me. He would ask questions to make sure that I understood the books. In that way, I would research so much to make sure that I understood the books so I could discuss them with Karl. It was a great incentive for me to research so many books!

Carolyn Helland was like a second mother to me. She would encourage me to read a lot. We would go to Lucky Peak. Carolyn would ask us to lay her blanket on the sand near a big woman. And she would laugh saying “I will look good in comparison.”  Then she would play her portable radio and read books. Her son (who is like my little brother) and I would play in the water. She loved Tom Jones, Engelbert Humperdinck, Neil Diamond, Johnny Nash, Simon and Garfunkel, Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, etc. Even now, when I think about Lucky Peak in the summer, I can hear Carolyn laughing, playing her radio and singing along with Neil Diamond’s "Sweet Caroline."

My next musical influence was my mother, Faye Dunham Brown. I didn't really like a lot of her music because she loved country, but she would sing around the house a lot and she was a wonderful singer. I have wonderful memories of mom's singing along to the radio. Patsy Cline, Jody Miller singing “Queen of the House,” Buck Owens, Charley Pride, Tammy Wynette, etc. Mom laughed that Tammy Wynette’s biggest two hits were “DIVORCE” and “Stand by Your Man.”  

I have a distinct memory of Mom dancing with one of my brothers. The song was “8 Days a Week” from the Beatles. She had a white blouse and black Capri pants. She was probably 35 at that point. She was laughing.

When she died, her funeral music was HER recording of “Danny Boy” and “Ava Maria.”

That takes me to my fourth musical influence: my brother Dirk Dunham. He loved and still loves the Beatles. It is fitting that a memory of Mom dancing with my brother Steve with a Beatles’ song. 

My first memory of a song was “I Want to Hold Your Hand” from the Beatles. I was probably three years old.
 
Throughout the 60s, the soundtrack of my life was my brother Dirk and the Beatles. Watching Ed Sullivan in 1964 and later in the late 60s performing “Hey Jude.” Dirk is with me. When my parents were divorced, we lived in a small rental with Mom. That was the winter of “Abby Road.” I would walk home after school, and I would play “Abbey Road” making sure that I did not scratch the record. Later, John Lennon was a major influence for me musically because of my brother Dirk. 


 The first album I purchased was Tree Dog Night’s “It Ain’t Easy.” It cost $3.99 at Grand Central in Boise. It was Christmas and Dirk took me to the store. I was 10. Of course, Dirk took the album later, and I never got it back!

Certainly I have branched out in my musical tastes. I love Pink Floyd, Elton John, R&B, hip-hop, some opera, and classic rock. 

But when I think of those four people, I cannot imagine what my musical tastes would have been without them.

It's amazing that music has been a huge part of my life. In happy times and in sad times, my musical influences helped me to cope in so many ways.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is