Skip to main content

E-Mails, Baseball, and Strokes

I used to get a lot of emails! At the height of my career, I bet I got about 100 (or more!) emails every day during the week. Over a weekend, it was less but still a constant stream of emails.

Several years ago, when our son was starting to ride his bike, he asked me to “watch me Daddy!”

I watched but I was actually responding to emails. Our son said, “Daddy! I want you to watch ME! Not your phone!”

That was a great lesson for me. However, admittedly I still checked emails though I was more sneaky about it.

When my career began, there was no email. It was a simpler time. My secretary would hand me a stack of messages, and I would respond. I had a policy that I would respond as soon as possible though never more than one day later. I had the same policy for my staff. “Call” – NOT email because there was no email – no later than 24 hours.

Technology changed everything. The demands of time made everyone want instant answers. People would email me and then call me minutes later asking for a response. It was crazy!

But, it was the demands of my job. Right before my strokes, I posted a blog entry about my son. At that point, he was 6. He said that “I wish that Daddy was a mechanic so he would not travel too much.” In his mind, “Daddy’s work” took too much time: emails, travel, meetings, etc.

I knew that it was affecting my son’s life, but I had no choice I thought. When my dad was dying, he told me that “If you ever have a family and a child, do not make the same mistakes I did saying that working was providing for my family. 'Providing' for my family was more than money: It was being there.”

I never forgot my Dad’s admonishments. I had to work for my family. But, I did not know what to do.

Now, I do not really have a job because of my strokes. I cannot work now. That is a huge reality check!

I spend a lot of my time with my family now. I know my relationship with my son is better now since I had my strokes.

I still get email because of my responsibilities with the College of Western Idaho and the Idaho Housing and Finance Association. I also get Facebook emails. However, I get maybe 10 emails a day. That is much better than 100 emails a day that need action.

So, last night when our son played a baseball game, I enjoyed my family. I did not even think about my phone and emails.

Who knew that my strokes were a blessing in disguise? Of course, I miss some facets of my old life (reading, math, driving, and being busy a lot). But, I cherish the “new me” simply because I have connected with my son.

Thank you, Dad, for that lesson. However, it is a drastic lesson!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Faces of the American Dream

The massive wave of Norwegian immigration to Minnesota from the 1850s through the early 20th century wasn't a casual choice; it was an escape from crushing land scarcity and economic desperation.  My ancestors, the Dunhams, arrived in 1851 and built a life in Otter Tail County in Minnesota. My great-great-grandfather, Jens Christian Dunham, didn’t just survive—he thrived. He served in the Minnesota legislature as a Republican from 1888 to 1890 and later became a staunch advocate for President Teddy Roosevelt. He was the literal embodiment of the American Dream: an immigrant who fled poverty to become a lawmaker in his new home. Fast forward a century, and a new wave of immigrants—this time from Somalia—is following that exact same blueprint. Like the Norwegians before them, they fled hardship to build a future in Minnesota, and many have run for office to serve the state that welcomed them. Yet, the political rhetoric surrounding these two groups couldn't be more polarized. Don...

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind...

Eye floaters, Strokes, Another ER visit….

It is always something.... I’ve had eye floaters for as long as I can remember. My paternal grandmother had them. My brothers have them too. They’ve always been part of my vision—little drifting specks, threads, and shadows moving across my sight. Over time, you learn to live with them. Sometimes they swirl around, sometimes they settle toward the bottom of your vision, and most of the time you simply ignore them. Floaters are actually tiny clumps inside the eye that cast shadows on the retina. They’re common as we age, especially after fifty, and usually they’re harmless. Doctors will tell you that most people eventually tune them out. But sometimes they change. On Wednesday, while we were driving home from an overnight trip, something felt different. It was my left eye. The floaters suddenly looked darker, heavier, and there were flashes of light along the edge of my vision—almost like a bright crescent moon flickering on and off. At first, I tried to ignore it. After everything ...