Skip to main content

A shadow of a man who used to be Mark Dunham

 Recently, I was contacted by a woman seeking political office. She asked me to endorse her for a national office for a trade association. I asked her why my endorsement would make a difference especially because I haven’t been around that industry for 15 years. 

She responded writing, “You are still known and well loved by so many CEO's across the country! This will be so impactful!”

 

When I announced that I was not running for another term to be on the Board of the College of Western Idaho, at the same time I did announce my endorsement for woman to replace me. By the deadline to file for that seat, my endorsed candidate was unopposed. She thanked me and said my public support made the difference.

 

Around 20 years ago, an incumbent Idaho Governor asked me to chair his lobbying committee.  In other words, he wanted to use my “name” and reach out to all of the lobbyists in the state to help his reelection campaign.

 

When I asked him, “why Mark Dunham,” he’s said, “In the world of cutthroat politics, you’re the most respected lobbyist in the state because you’re effective but, more than that, people respect you on both sides of the aisle.”

 

But that was 20 years ago. The call seeking my endorsement was a surprise to me. I really think I am “old news.” After my strokes, I left my public life other than the College of Western Idaho.  Soon, that will be gone as well.

 

I will be a footnote in Idaho history. There won’t be a Wikipedia devoted to me.

 

Writing this blog is uncomfortable because the examples that site makes me feel like a braggart. But I’m writing this as a background about the repercussions of my strokes and aphasia.

 

Once when I was giving my annual performance review, the president of my association said this to me: “Mark. You are so even-keel. I don’t even know what you’re thinking about your review right now.” I responded saying, “Good.”

 

I try to be “even-keel.” The definition of even-keel is “when a person's emotions are under control, balanced and steady.”

 

My whole life has been trying to be even-keel. It was probably a self-defense mechanism because of my childhood. You grow up quickly when you’re eight years old and sometimes you have to be the adult in the room.

 

After my strokes, I did lose a lot of me. I lost my occupation. I lost my ability to enjoy many things such as reading and writing with ease. I lost my ability to speak well. In my mind I lost my ability to be a good parent and husband.

 

After my strokes, one of the only things that gave me solace was my sense of being a good guy with a great reputation and being even-keel. I tried throughout my career and my personal life to be ethical and honest. I’ve always been careful to use my words wisely. Words spoken or written can have long lasting damage. 

 

Even after more than 8 years since my strokes, I still have difficulty communicating in so many ways. I second guess myself every day. I understand that strokes, brain damage, aphasia, etc. are often characterized as the inability to think ahead or understand consequences.

 

Here is an excerpt of an article that really hits home to me:


After a stroke, existing personality traits can become exaggerated. Alternatively, people can behave in ways that are out of character for them. Personality changes after a stroke can include:

 

·         Not feeling like doing anything.

·         Being irritable or aggressive.

·         Being disinhibited – saying or doing things that seem inappropriate to others.

·         Being impulsive – acting without thinking, and doing things that are not safe or are  

Sometimes changes in behavior are aimed only at the people closest to the stroke survivor. This is quite normal. Most of us only show the more difficult parts of ourselves to the people we are closest to because we know they will probably forgive us. However, if the behavior is extreme it can isolate us from the people around us. Sometimes, stroke survivors do not realize that their behavior or personality is different. This can make it difficult to address these changes.

 

Honestly, I am frightened every day about my cognitive issues.  

 

The advent of social media has made it worse. The toxic nature of social media especially in the political realm has led me to second guess myself a lot. I learned a lesson several years ago when I posted something political on Facebook. A close friend of mine wrote to me stating that “you get an elitist tone with you pontificate about politics.”

 

That was several years ago, and I have rarely posted anything political on social media as a result. Of course, sometimes I stray from my self-imposed rule. I have paid a hefty price as a result.

 

Recently, a person who I love and value wrote to me noting that “you are quite opinionated and sometimes not very tolerant of other views.” That person told me that he will minimize contact with me as a result.

 

It was a sobering comment.

 

On the one hand, I was amused that those two people criticized me for my political views especially because one is left wing and the other is right wing. Both of them are so strident and vocal about their opinions. They see the world as black and white. I see the world as shades of grey. It seems I cannot win.

 

However, the sobering part is the worry about my cognitive issues. Should I continue to retreat into myself? Writing a simple recommendation letter as I wrote at the outset gives me so much anxiety now. I used to pride myself on my grammar prowess but now I worry I will embarrass myself. 


More than that, I have so much apprehension to do anything which might be misconstrued. Though I am leaving the board of the College of Western Idaho, I will continue to be involved plus I am still on several other boards. I am not sure if I should continue.

 

At this point, my slow descent of isolation will continue unabated. I will write the letter as requested. I will think twice or three times when I communicate in anyway because of concerns of my cognition. My wife has told me for years that “You sometimes cannot accept that you had your strokes. You cannot do all that you use to do.”

 

A shadow of a man who used to be Mark Dunham.

Comments

Rebecca Dutton said…
When I was an OT I was a glass is-half-empty person because insurance companies reimburse only for evaluating deficits. After my stroke I became a glass-is-half-full person because I was stunned by how many assets I have in comparison to other stroke survivors. Treating stroke survivors as an OT taught me how devastating a really bad stroke can be.
Grace Carpenter said…
I often feel diminished because of my stroke (10 years ago), and I hear your pain in your post. But I hope you can remember a few things: 1) many stroke survivors continue to improve for years and decades. My aphasia, for instance, has improved dramatically--but only if I take the (very) long view. 2) It's hard to not be able to do the things you want to do for your family. But you are trying so hard to be present for them. 3) Sometimes I can "pass" as a cognitively normal person. But I always need to re-connect with my stroke-friends eventually. The pandemic makes it so hard to connect. Keeping trying to connect. We all need it.
Denise said…
My aphasia has also improved immensely (hemorrhagic stroke almost 8 years ago). 2 things that have helped A LOT are massages and working out at the gym with a trainer who has a master's degree in exercise science. I've had a fair amount of physical and occupational therapy, too, and it all helps. My husband and I were talking about it recently, and we agreed I've come a very long way. He said he forgets now that I have aphasia, it's gotten so much better. I'm still in a wheelchair, still can't drive, probably never will be able to, but I will never stop improving until I die. That's my choice. We all make choices, every day. The doctors were wrong, they told me whatever recovery I got by 6 months would be all I would get. Wrong, wrong, wrong! You never stop improving until you stop trying or you die.

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is