Skip to main content

I wonder if I made a difference?




This afternoon, I dropped my son off at tennis practice at Julia Davis Park. I crossed the Boise River and entered the Boise State campus. 

My long history of higher education  when I was an adjunct faculty member at Boise State teaching speech communications in 1985.  I only taught one semester. 

10 years later  I was asked to be on the Board of the Boise State Alumni Association. I served as the president of the association in 2001. 

In 2003, the State Board of Education asked me to be on the search committee for a new Boise State president. Ultimately, the state board hired Bob Kustra.

A year later, President Kustra asked me to change my career and work for him. For 2 1/2 years, I was the Director of Government Relations and ultimately the Interim Vice President of Institutional Advancement at the University. 

I resigned because I didn’t want to deal with the "silos" in a university setting.   In addition,  despite my credentials, I didn’t have a PhD so faculty did not respect me.

A year later, a initiative was passed to form the College of Western Idaho.

Given my experience in higher education, business, and lobbying, I put my hat in the ring to be one of the initial five trustees provided in state law.

Over 100 applied, and I was honored to be selected to be one of the initial trustees of the college. I took my oath of office in July, 2007. 

We had nothing other than two buildings, 100 acres, and a dream. We did not even have a telephone. We had no staff.

Our first enrollment in 2009 was less than 1,300. At the time, a local news paper essentially said we were a failure.

In May, we will celebrate our 10th graduating class. We have more than 33,000 students. 

Some failure.



In the last decade, I have put my whole heart and soul into the College of Western Idaho. 

I have ran three times for election and won. College trustees are not paid. It is a volunteer commitment.

I do this because I love our students and their success. I am passionate about the CWI.

My commitment was tested in January of 2012 when I had two ischemic strokes. The second one almost killed me. Weeks in the hospital, years of therapy, and communication issues still linger.

I never missed a meeting.

Today, I wandered around Boise State campus today thinking about my commitment to education and my history.

I saw my 7th floor office near the river and I remembered why I resigned. 

I was a husband with a two-year-old son and I had no job. I simply could not deal with the higher education bureaucracy. 

I was excited to be part of a new community college. It would be different.

Almost 12 years. 

I wonder if it’s really different. I wonder if I’ve made a difference.





Comments

Rebecca Dutton said…
As a collage professor for 20 years I can relate to your feelings. Students rarely come back to say thank you so it is hard to know what effect I had.

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is