Skip to main content

Is this it? Really....


I joined the YMCA a last week. Part of my recovery is that I need to exercise. I've never really been an exerciser, And through the years I joined several gyms. And then I would get busy and lazy and I didn't go.

But a stroke gives a lot of incentive to work out. Literally it could be life or death.

In the hospital every day they would make me exercise. At that point all of the sessions were for half an hour.

I remember that they would tell me that I had to hop on one leg. That was scary! I could not balance at all.

Then I would ride a stationary bike. The therapist would talk to me about my life. Because I couldn't talk almost at all, I was so frustrated!

I have a full life! I have a son! I have a wonderful wife! I love my brothers! I am the director of a company dealing with construction! I am one of the trustees of the College of Western Idaho!

But in those sessions I don't think the therapist really knew who I was because I couldn't talk. I was a cocoon trapped in my  mind.

The therapists always had to accompany me and they used a belt to make sure that I would not fall. I have the belt as a reminder.

Also they use the Wii Fit program. I could not even do simple yoga.

When I got out of the hospital and I was doing therapy, one of my therapists said that I could lift small weights.

I did some of it but it was very awkward and cumbersome for me. Also my right arm was so sore because I was essentially paralyzed for a while.

Now 16 months later after my stroke, I really want to go work out.

My wife called our neurosurgeon about the possibilities about exercises. At the Y, there is a room set up specifically
to help with strokes and heart attack victims. St. Al's rehab has a great program.

When I met with the gym instructor at the Y, he told me that I needed to have a medical release form. So many forms dealing with my stroke and this is just another one!

Finally the doctor sent the records and the gym instructor told me that I can't do much.

I cannot lift much weight and I cannot exert myself cardio wise.

So why do I have a membership?

The gym instructor told me that I have some options. So he is giving me exercises dealing with an exercise ball and resistance bands. I can  ride the stationary bike also.

So I'm doing that routinely now. I think it is helping me not just physically but psychologically as well.

But it does beg the question. Is this it? Am I so fragile that they are concerned that I will have another stroke?

If I have  a headache I am so paranoid that I will have another stroke. My wife and I want to remodel our backyard. That entails lifting cement  stones. Can I do anything at all?

In the hospital they asked me about my hobbies. Other than working, my hobbies included my family, reading and woodworking.

I can't read anymore to the extent that I want to. And because of my eyesight on my right side, I'm concerned about woodworking. Should I sell my tablesaw and my miter saw?

Am I having to deal with so many limitations that I can't do things that I want to enjoy?

I used to think that my body was failing me physically. Basically I was getting fat and older and lazy. But I could always work out and fix that stuff.

But now I don't think I can fix this. This stroke affected me in so many ways physically. And now psychologically and emotionally as well. Why? Because  it simply pisses me off.

Stroke: The gift that keeps giving....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is