Skip to main content

Nick Lowe and good intentions

"Cruel to Be Kind" is a 1979 single by Nick Lowe and it was a favorite song of mine in high school.

The sentiments are pretty appropriate now. So many people believe that they have to be cruel to be kind to deal with the emotions my strokes and my son’s celiac disease.

I have joined so many Facebook groups dealing with strokes, aphasia, and celiac disease. Those online support groups are incredibly helpful for me.

With those three conditions our family has experienced, the common thread often is "It’s God‘s will" or "it will just take time to adjust."

Though well-intentioned, often people say "I have to say this. I know it’s hard. But I have to be cruel to be kind let you know that need to just buck up and accept this new reality."

Really?


Today, a stroke survivor on Facebook lamented that her brother basically said, "We’re all tired of your shit. Just get over it and move on. We’ve moved on. I don’t think you realize how much your stroke has affected everybody else in your life, I’m telling you to just stop dwelling on the past."

In other words paraphrasing this common sentiment "I know better than you so I’m telling you this to be cruel to be kind."

It seems people say things like that because "we are too close to the reality and don’t understand what’s really happening." 

My son’s celiac diagnosis is pretty recent. Yet I’ve already had people tell me that "Just make him change his diet right now. He just has to accept it. He’s always been picky and he needs to buck up."

It’s just not that easy. Adolescence is tough anyway with hormones, peer pressure, not wanting to be different, etc. Then you have the added pressure of this confusing and scary disease?

So when people say just get over it, I call bullshit.

It’s just not eating gluten free stuff. There is a wholesale lifestyle change such as cleaning out pantry’s, spices, cutting boards, toasters, shampoo, cosmetics, etc. Gluten is in everything. 

Just like with my strokes, it is hard to get over celiac disease. 


So when well-meaning yet uninformed people it is tough for me to keep my mouth shut. 

No, "He can’t just cheat for holidays. How about on Sundays?"

I think I might have to be cruel to be kind and say "just shut the hell up."

It’s like the old adage. You cannot be a little pregnant. It means it is a situation in which there is no ambiguity or no gray area.


There’s no gray area. I had two strokes. I have fibromuscular dysplasia. I have a aphasia. My son has celiac disease. 

My wife asked to deal with of this. She is a saint. Yet when people are so arrogant about her reality and trying to be cruel to be kind, it infuriates me. She doesn’t deserve this.

This is a lifetime sentence, and people think that it’s cruel to be kind when they have no idea about our reality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is wrong with us! A lot: Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria

This morning, from 10:30 to Noon, at St. Lukes in Meridian Idaho, I participated in the “Aphasia, Apraxia, and Dysarthria Support Group” started a year ago through Idaho State University. We meet weekly.  So, what is wrong with us? Aphasia is the name given to a collection of language disorders caused by damage to the brain. A requirement for a diagnosis of aphasia is that, prior to the illness or injury, the person's language skills were normal. The difficulties of people with aphasia can range from occasional trouble finding words to losing the ability to speak, read, or write, but does not affect intelligence. This also affects visual language such as sign language . The term "aphasia" implies a problem with one or more functions that are essential and specific to language function. It is not usually used when the language problem is a result of a more peripheral motor or sensory difficulty, such as paralysis affecting the speech muscles or a general hear

College of Western Idaho should offer a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration

Last month I was invited to attend Gov. Brad Little’s announcement of his “Idaho LAUNCH” program which aims to prepare Idaho’s students for Idaho’s workforce needs. Idaho LAUNCH provides grants for education and training programs. Legislators and a host of businesses participated in Gov. Little’s announcement. As a former member and chair of the College of Western Idaho Board of Trustees, I was pleased to lend my support for this needed program. At the same time, I am fully supporting CWI’s goal to deliver a Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees (BAS) in Business Administration for under $20,000. I am pleased to see some many businesses join the effort. The Idaho LAUNCH and CWI’s BAS in Business Administration is a “win-win” for everyone especially students who need that targeted education to succeed. The Idaho LAUNCH program received legislative approval and students are applying. However, CWI’s proposal needs the State Board of Education approval. THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL DECI

Phantom Blindness and Taking a Break after Strokes

I met with my eye doctor last week about taking some time off from my vision therapy. I have been doing therapy since my stroke almost two and a half years ago. I am tired, and a need a break. My doctor said, “This is completely understandable. Take some time off.” At the appointment, my doctor tested my vision. Because of the strokes, my vision was affected, and I have a problem in my field of vision on the right side. I have a deficit with my right side peripheral vision. However, it is getting better. During the test, I told him that I “sense things on the right side of my peripheral vision.” It seems that I know that something is there, but I cannot really distinguish what it is. He told me that there is a body of thought describing phantom vision or phantom blindness. A Polish researcher, L. Bieganowski, described this phantom blindness this way:    “The subject of the paper is the phenomenon of phantom vision. It occurs among the blind (or almost blind) and is